Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
* 1 spaghetti squash
* 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 red onion, chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (leave seeds in for more heat)
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 Tbs. ground cumin
* 1 Tbs. Mexican oregano
* 1 Tbs. chili powder
* 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
* 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup freshly torn cilantro, plus more for garnish
* 1 lime
* 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375.
Roast squash on a baking sheet for 50 minutes. Let cool another 30 minutes, then cut in half. Spoon out the seeds, then using a fork, scrape up the flesh, making the “spaghetti.” Isn’t that cute?
Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and red bell pepper. Sauté 2 minutes. Add cumin, Mexican oregano, chili powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté another minute. Add the beans, corn and cilantro. Stir to combine. Squeeze in the lime juice and give one last stir.
Add in half the “spaghetti” to the bean mixture and stir to combine. Taste and season accordingly. I probably tossed in a little more salt at this point.
Switch oven to broil.
Stuff each squash half with the mixture and top with grated cheese.
Stick it back under the broiler until the cheese melts and gets all brown and bubbly, baby.
Garnish with a little bit of cilantro and enjoy your life.
*I used only half of the spaghetti squash as it was A LOT. I saved the rest for lunch the next day.*
- Spaghetti Squash-Those-Calories Beef Lasagna (afreespiritedgirl.wordpress.com)
- Spaghetti Squash Broccoli Stir Fry With Nutty Sauce (paleocvits.wordpress.com)
- 20 Savory Squash Recipes for Fall (mommyrunfast.com)
- Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Avocado Sauce (keepingitcaj.wordpress.com)
- Squash browns (exceptionaleating.wordpress.com)